Wartburg Theological Seminary—a vibrant, innovative, and growing seminary—is seeking a Development Officer to serve as a member of the Development Team.
The Development Officer serves the mission of Wartburg Theological Seminary as a member of the Development Team. This team operates with the highest ethical standards, advanced development principles, and is deeply rooted in responding to the world’s need for faithful leaders. Our focus is to assist donors in their charitable intent through the cultivation of constituent relationships and the solicitation of generous gifts from current and prospective donors.
• Serve as primary solicitor for up to 150 donors and prospects, leading those supporters to increased financial support of the seminary.
• Work closely with the Senior Development Officer for setting goals and strategies for cultivation of assigned donors.
• Develop a work plan for cultivation strategies of assigned donor portfolio.
• Plan, schedule, and conduct effective and efficient individual donor meetings that result in
increased donor engagement in the Wartburg mission.
• Provide written contact reports including summary of visits and next steps for follow-up.
• Facilitate Wartburg donor gatherings as needed to share the Wartburg story with a wider
audience and build new potential donor relationships.
• Represent Wartburg Theological Seminary at congregational events and other church gatherings.
• Assist other staff, as needed, with other Development activities, programs, and events.
• Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of the organization’s mission, programs, activities, and fundraising priorities.
• Complete monthly, quarterly, and annual reports of activities and outcomes.
• Engage cooperatively and proactively with other team members.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Position is not responsible for supervision of other employees.
Education & Experience:
• BA degree required.
• Hold a degree from or have strong connection to Wartburg Seminary.
• CFRE preferred and/or advanced training in development science.
• 5 years related development experience with background in higher education advancement preferred.
• Understand and support the mission of Wartburg Theological Seminary.
• Ability to travel well making efficient and effective use of time.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and appropriate boundaries.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management background required.
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
• Self-starter with ability to think and work with little direct supervision.
• Well organized with ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
• Ability to work well with others as a team player.
This position has frequent interaction with staff, students, and other Wartburg constituents. This position operates in a professional office environment with limited face-to-face supervision.
Position is salaried with significant travel required (up to 75%) including frequent evening and weekend work.
Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Wartburg Theological Seminary recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.