The Major Gifts
Officer will promote LIRS’s mission and core values to key individual
supporters and advocates across the US. The Major Gifts Officer is responsible
for direct solicitation of gifts and for managing a portfolio of major gift
prospects as well as creating and enhancing relationships with current and
prospective donors. They will create and implement a strategy to deepen
relationships with major donors and prospects that fit the organization’s
program priorities. Through the development of appropriate cultivation strategies,
the Major Gift Officer will move donors up the giving pyramid and utilize
LIRS’s Leadership team and other internal assets to maximize their cultivation
efforts. The position reports to the
Director of Development.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
· Share and promote LIRS’ mission and core values with key individual supporters and advocates.
· Manage a portfolio of 125-175 major donors and prospects with a focus on engagement and deepening of relationships that ensures major gifts support funding for organizational programs and goals.
· Solicit major gifts from current and prospective donors with a long-term goal of upgrading to between $5,000 and $10,000 plus levels.
· Identify and evaluate new major donor prospects within LIRS’ growing donor file.
· Develop appropriate cultivation strategies and utilize internal assets to build relationships and move donors up the giving pyramid.
· Maintain donor loyalty and enthusiasm through stewardship and activities designed to express recognition and appreciation.
· Manage, assign, and coordinate valuable donor relationships with the Director for Development, Vice President for D.O.C., and CEO/President to maximize cultivation efforts.
· Report, on a timely basis, progress toward achieving weekly, monthly, and annual objectives.
· Write all proposals for large gifts from donors and ensure that these gifts fit within LIRS’ program priorities by coordinating with Leadership, Program, and Finance teams.
· Create, plan, and execute special events jointly hosted by current donors, volunteers and leaders of LIRS.
· Work closely with the development and communication teams to ensure coordination of LIRS messaging.
· Provide additional support for LIRS’ key institutional and congregational relationships, when appropriate.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Public Administration or closely related field and minimum of five years experience in fundraising and building long-term fundraising relationships or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
· Demonstrated, successful experience in major gift fundraising required.
· Ability to connect and inspire donors and potential donors to partner in our mission.
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills with aptitude to listen and ability to understand the needs and interests of donors in order to develop their relationship with LIRS.
· Demonstrated leadership experience in a professional or volunteer organization setting, campaign-related giving initiatives and fundraising experience preferred.
· Excellent writing, editing, research and presentation skills.
· Excellent attention to detail and demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to self-direct to achieve goals outlined in annual development plan required.
· Ability to take initiative and function independently and as part of a team.
· Demonstrated experience and proficiency with donor management databases and Microsoft Office Suite software, required.
· Proven ability to assess priorities and manage a variety of complex activities simultaneously with excellent time management.
· Deep commitment to LIRS's core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners.
· In-depth knowledge of the structure policies and teachings of the Lutheran church strongly desired
· Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
· Must work well autonomously and be self- directed with a keen focus on meeting goals.
· Willingness and ability to travel extensively.
IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND COMPLIES WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL