Executive Director, Seminary Support
Concordia Seminary serves church and world by providing theological education and leadership centered in the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ for the formation of pastors, missionaries, deaconesses, scholars, and leaders in the name of The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Concordia Seminary is currently engaged in a search for a Full-Time Executive Director for Seminary Support to work in their Seminary Advancement Office.
The Executive Director for Seminary Support is responsible for the development and implementation of a strategic, comprehensive fundraising program for Concordia Seminary. This program will include major gifts, planned gifts, annual giving, grant solicitation, special events and campaigns. The Executive Director for Seminary Support works closely with the Senior Vice President, Seminary Advancement and all committees involved in fundraising activities.
· In coordination with Seminary Advancement leaders and special counsel, develop short- and long-range comprehensive fundraising plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles, set goals and objectives in line with the Seminary Advancement division’s goals, and manage the budget for all fundraising activities.
· Steward a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors. This includes directing a planning giving program and overseeing prospect research.
· Organize all aspects and segments of annual giving including direct mail, telephone, email and web-based media.
· Oversee grant seeking, including research, proposal writing and reporting requirements.
· Direct special campaigns, including comprehensive campaigns, capital campaigns and/or other unique fundraising drives. This includes engaging volunteers for special fund development initiatives.
· Oversee employee fundraising initiatives.
· Mentor and guide staff involved in solicitations in the design, implementation and monitoring of strategies that prepare donors in their respective portfolios to be solicited for gifts.
· Work collaboratively with other Seminary Advancement staff members to establish, monitor and refine the policies and procedures for tracking fundraising activities and maintaining gift recognition programs.
· In consultation with the Senior Vice President, Seminary Advancement, contribute to the development of a comprehensive communication plan to promote the Seminary to its donors and maximize public awareness of the opportunity to support the Seminary’s mission.
· Assist in fostering an understanding of philanthropy throughout the Seminary.
· In consultation with the Senior Vice President, Seminary Advancement, recruit, interview and select well-qualified fund development staff.
· Manage the relationships among a limited portfolio of donors.
· Work collaboratively with other Seminary departments and divisions to maximize the effectiveness of the Seminary’s faculty, staff, students and alumni in securing major gifts.
· As requested by the Executive Management Team or the Senior Vice President, Seminary Advancement, serve as a liaison to committees and groups requiring input from the Seminary Advancement division.
· Advocate the mission of Concordia Seminary to its various constituencies, conventions and organizations as opportunities present themselves.
· Monitor trends in fund development and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
1. An understanding and commitment to the mission of Concordia Seminary and its relationships to The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, other denominations and the world.
2. An ability to see the above listed responsibilities as a whole with each part contributing to the fulfillment of the overall responsibility.
3. Demonstrated ability and at least 10 years of successful experience in fundraising.
4. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
5. Membership in good standing of an LCMS congregation preferred.
6. Ability to travel and to participate in evening or weekend events.
7. Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree or CFRE preferred.
Senior Gift Officer(s)
Planned Giving Officer(s)
Manager, Gift Planning Services
Manager, Donor Development
Manager, Annual Giving
Please submit resume in confidence to Concordia Seminary’s Career Webpage at: https://www.csl.edu/about/employment/